- Impaired mineralization of skeleton in childhood.
3 congenital causes:
- Hypophoshatemic rickets (X-linked)
- Congenital 1a-hydroxylase deficiency
- Congenital vitamin D resistance.
P/c: Causes bone pain, deformities, muscle weakness and growth retardation as well as the increased fracture risk.
- The treatment and prevention of rickets is known as antirachitic.
- Increasing dietary intake of calcium, phosphates and vitamin D.
- Exposure to UVB light, cod liver oil, halibut-liver oil, and viosterol are all sources of vitamin D.