(5% of UK):
- Disorder of bone remodeling with increased osteoclasts resorption, followed by increased bone formation (compensation of osteoblasts)
- Can lead to – abnormality in X-ray, pain, deformities and increased risk of fractures, cranial nerve entrapment
- Only 30% have symptoms!
- Skull commonly effected and can lead to deafness
- Some cardiac failure as heart cannot keep up with the blood supply needed for such a high turn over.
- Malignancy possible but rare.
- Patient may become hypercalcaemic
- On radiology = osteoblastic and osteolytic legions giving bone an odd appearance of mismatch Elevated alkaline phosphatase
- May not be necessary
- First line = bisphosphonates.
- Calcitonin for the pain.