- o 90% epithelial
- o Other common = Papillary serous cystadenocarcinoma and adenocarcinoma.
- o OC linked to BRCA1 and 2 genes, HRT and high oestrogen status (ie early menarche & late menopause) are at increased risk.
- o Few early clinical signs – p/c abdominal distension, ascites, bladder/bowel disturbances, bloating, backpain, fatigue, incontinence, retention.
- o Diagnosis via: pelvic exam, transvaginal USS, and CA-125 markers.
- o Confirm with surgical inspection and biopsy.
- o Prevention = Tubal ligation and hysterectomy reduce the risk and removal of both tubes and ovaries (bilateral salpingo-oophorectomy) dramatically reduces the risk of not only ovarian cancer but breast cancer also.
- o Tx via surgical adjuvant CT/RT.