Diagnosis requires all three of the following:
- Binge eating
- Methods to prevent weight gain (vomiting, purging, laxatives)
- Morbid fear of fatness (overvalued idea, not a delusion)
Individuals tend to be of a normal or above normal weight
Caused by starvation and vomiting:
- Enlargement of the parotid glands
- Dental caries (due to stomach acid erosion)
- Mallory Weiss tear (tear in the mucosa at the gastro-oesophageal junction due to vomiting)
- Russell’s sign (thick skin on back of hands due to repeated induced vomiting)
12 per 100,000. Ten times more common in females.
CBT/ supportive therapy
SSRI’s may improve bingeing behavior.
70% of cases recover within 5 years and there is no increase in mortality.