A diagnosis requires all four of the following:
- Body weight 15% below expected, or BMI< 17.5 kg/m2
- Self induced weight loss (by dieting, excess exercising, vomiting etc.)
- Morbid fear of being fat (an overvalued idea rather than a delusion)
- Endocrine disturbance (e.g. amenorrhoea, pubertal delay or lanugo hair)
- Bradycardia and hypotension
- Feeling cold and tired- cold peripheries in a warm room
- Expressing a high interest in preparing or buying food
Incidence is 4 per 100,000 with a peak age at 18 years. 1 in 10 cases occur in males.
High social class
Interest in modeling or ballet
Cognitive behavioural therapy/ support therapy
Raising calorie intake
Hospitalisation indicated if there is a weight loss of over 35%
50% eventually recover completely.
Mortality rate 5% usually from starvation or suicide.